• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Forum

Go Back   Chandrayaan | Forums > Chandrayaan 1

Chandrayaan 1 Forum to discuss India's first Moon Mission , Chandrayaan-1

Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Question I don’t see a purpose or objective

When other countries are trying to explore whether any kind of the life exists on other planets… I don’t see a need for us to go on moon and check for the same which is done by so many countries and all you have mentioned in objectives can be Googled and take required info….. if there is really a need then plan some thing different like some other mission which is not implemented by any one.. try being different…..
More over when the nation itself is in so much of crisis I don’t think we have a need to plan for such missions……
Old 10-01-2007, 04:21 PM

You dont seem to get the point. You got to learn to walk before you run, otherwise you might land on your face. Imagine if we aim for Mars and the misson fails miserably. It will be crores of money down the drain and loss of morale for the scientists. Imagine the critisism from the pessimists out there. I can hear the ' We told you so...' ringing in my ears. Worse it will be a loss of face for us within the space faring nations. I think this is the right step. Even the technologically superior US is going back to the moon before thinking of mars.... not to forget ESA, china, japan.....
Old 10-02-2007, 05:57 AM

Ajax , I totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax- proud INDIAN View Post
You dont seem to get the point. You got to learn to walk before you run, otherwise you might land on your face. Imagine if we aim for Mars and the misson fails miserably. It will be crores of money down the drain and loss of morale for the scientists. Imagine the critisism from the pessimists out there. I can hear the ' We told you so...' ringing in my ears. Worse it will be a loss of face for us within the space faring nations. I think this is the right step. Even the technologically superior US is going back to the moon before thinking of mars.... not to forget ESA, china, japan.....
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Absolutely agree with Ajax

I am totally agree with Ajax, it's a great step. Thanks to all the people involved in the project.
For me the most exciting part is the Flag of Bharat on moon.
Great
Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Please, read this essay:

http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cu...---part-1/3646

http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cu...---part-2/3645

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Moon

Yes i agree that it is a repeat of what the developed nations in the world has tried in the past, but as a developing nation we have to go thorugh the path as said "because they have gone to the moon, it is not possible to get all the info in the googlingg.

The tecnology to go to the moon is a new one to India andd they have to enact it correctly, it is not that as others have done it we could do it, we can get the know how of the technology but we have to do it on our own correctly to get the things right, yes it is a proud step that India is tring one of the things that a very few nations in the world has tried and should be proud of it and not to lay dumb and repeat what the other nations say about the moon trips.

When we do the Chnadrayaan, we would be able to boast our own exeperince.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM

There sure are a list of specific Mission Objectives of the mission - you can read it on the ISRO's page for chandrayaan.

But i doubt you are asking about "objectives" as much as "purpose"

As replied earlier, ALL countries go through a gradual evolution in their space-faring technologies - and India is no exception. We HAVE to take small steps before we can leap.

Im sure you did not mean any ill-will but we tend to get carried away sometimes by sci-fi movie flicks about deep space exploration and the like.... Sure, they WILL happen, and sure India will do it too... we may just be a generation or two earlier.

You have to remember that a Moon mission - even an unmanned one – is a far cry from ISRO's beginnings in the 1960s, with a church in Kerala as their first office.

By the way, the Chandrayaan mission DOES have a few novelties which has not been tried by previous lunar missions.

1. A dedicated Radar - Miniature Synthetic Aperture Radar (MiniSAR) - would map the permanently shadowed "other" side of the moon. (most countries have limited their exploration to the earth-facing side of the moon)

2. The Chandrayaan-1 X-ray Spectrometer (C1XS) is essentially the newer and upgraded version of the SMART-I spectrometers used in ESA's recent moon missions

3. I also believe that the orbital plane of the moon-probe would be different from all other previous missions - chandrayaan plans to orbit the moon along its poles while all others usually orbit the moon in an equitorial plane

Essentially, Chandrayaan would provide much more comprehensive information - on the topography and metallurgy of the moon - than whats available to the WORLD's scientific community currently. Google is good alright, but not THAT good - to fetch info that we dont posess yet.

--

Regarding the social angle - whether we need to spend this much money on a moon-mission when we have a lot of poverty and social problems in the country - this needs a more detailed introspection....

Quote:
"They asked the same question when we built our first satellite, Aryabhatta, in the '70s," notes Mylswamy Annadurai, Chandrayaan project director.

"ISRO has done fairly good work in using space for societal needs. Today we have satellites for education, crop, health and communications," Annadurai says. "Chandrayaan is today's equivalent of Aryabhatta."
but a simple answer would be 'yes, its worth it'.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 AM

Thumbs up India's Moon Mission

To the Kings of ISRO,
It is proud to see the successful launch of Chandrayaan the great.
Congratulations to all the engineers those worked hard, day and night for the launch of Chandrayaan. It is another miles stone for ISRO, where the entire world turns their faces and looking at our space research engineers. I bet the drive among our engineers is self-motivation nothing else. I am very sure every engineer of ISRO posses sincerity, team spirit and hard work. I like to thank every engineer of ISRO for utilizing their knowledge to our country’s space research.
All the very best to all of you.

Balaji NG
Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up Advantage of Moon Mission

This for the people who think such missions are waste of money
I would like to quote one great purpose " Mining of Helium 3 on Moon"

In the world where energy politics have taken a bigger place and where countries with energy resources have polarized the world. This Isotope of helium which is abundantly available on Moon is the future.
Russia has already charted out plans to mine Helium 3 from 2020.
that is the reason China and Japan are aslo sending moon missions.

The greatest advantage of Helium 3 is it is free of radioactive waste.
It is pure energy which can be used in Fusion reactors and as fuel for spaceships and rockets thus saving the Ozone layer and increasing efficiency and less pollution.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonssong View Post
This for the people who think such missions are waste of money
I would like to quote one great purpose " Mining of Helium 3 on Moon"

In the world where energy politics have taken a bigger place and where countries with energy resources have polarized the world. This Isotope of helium which is abundantly available on Moon is the future.
Russia has already charted out plans to mine Helium 3 from 2020.
that is the reason China and Japan are aslo sending moon missions.

The greatest advantage of Helium 3 is it is free of radioactive waste.
It is pure energy which can be used in Fusion reactors and as fuel for spaceships and rockets thus saving the Ozone layer and increasing efficiency and less pollution.
Fusion reactors are not a reality.Fusion bomb is a reality. About mining helium 3 or anything from moon India has no indegenous technology.India is still depending ARIAN & others for launching communication satellites.India is wasting money by moon projects by this time India could have developed its own cryogenic engines,can own many geo stationary satellites which can be used for global positioning,tracking & spying.We are disoriented by US collaboration.