• Decrease font size
Forum

Go Back   Chandrayaan | Forums > Chandrayaan 2

Chandrayaan 2 Forum to discuss India's second Moon Mission, chandrayaan-2

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 AM

Default robot for chandrayan-2

Submitted by : satish
Date : 6/3/2007 12:33 (CST)

well the robot i heard is of two legged one or may be four , but it will be better if its like the prototype that was sent to mars SPIRIT AND OPPURTUNITY
for better stability on the rugged surface and absorb shocks from the surface like a kind of flexible belt of a TANK . IIT is taken up this project well i am too looking forward for it . Waiting for your earliest reply thank you
Old 04-03-2010, 06:30 AM

Satish
please excuse iam a bit of a keen guy my name is rama mohan anne ,from what i gathered is that three professors:
Asish Dutta :vison based navigation & traction control
Jagdamaba prasad :Viusal Aspsects

Rover Development

IIT Kanpur is developing three subsystems to provide mobility to the Indian rover to be placed on the moon by the Chandrayaan-2 lander.

The components being developed are: stereophonic camera based 3D vsion, kinematic traction control, and control and motor dynamics of the rover's six wheels.

The stereo vision cameras will provide the ground team controlling the rovers a 3D view of the surrounding terrain.

The rover will have six wheels each driven by an independent electrical motor. Four of the wheels will also be capable of independent steering. A total of 10 electrical motors will be used for traction and steering.

Kinematic traction control will enable the rover to negotiate the rough lunar terrain using independent steering provided on four of its wheels.

IIT Kanpur started working on the project in March 2009 and is scheduled to complete it by 2010 when the rover traction system will be handed over to ISRO for final testing and evaluation.

ISRO is setting up a center in Bangalore for testing of the Chandrayaan-2 rovers and lander, which will have a test area mimicking the lunar terrain and conditions. The Russian rover too will be tested there before being fitted to Chandrayaan-2.

Because of recent speculation that the dense packing of 11 payloads in the Chandrayaan lunar orbiter led to its overheating and subsequent loss, ISRO scientists are less keen to invite payloads from outside space agencies or universities.